The City Cemetery is the oldest continuously operated public cemetery in Nashville. On March 9, 1820, the Mayor of Nashville and the Aldermen purchased from Richard Cross four acres of land located “on the plains, south of town, for its burying ground.” The cemetery opened on January 1, 1822. Fourteen years later the cemetery had outgrown its original site and more acres were acquired. By 1850 the cemetery was the final resting place for over 11,000 people of every race, religion and economic status.
The City Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 because of its historical and architectural significance.